Issue #3187 has been updated by Tomoyuki Chikanaga.

> I don't think we should export vm_stack. It's purely implementation
> detail. Just expose "stack size"
> knob and it should change both vm-stack and machine-stack size.
You're right. It's better to provide more abstract way to tune memory usage of Fiber.
How about like the following?

  Fiber.stacksize = 2.0  # => twice the size of default stack size

or maybe we have to examine how VM/machine stack are consumed.

And even tough we provide such a unified interface, I think more low-level,
implementation specific methods are convenient when users need fine-tuned parameter set for
their applications. Is it a bad idea?
for example, ObjectSpace.count_objects etc.. tightly depend on MRI implementation,
and are useful just because of it.
Feature #3187: Allow dynamic Fiber stack size
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/3187

Author: Mike Perham
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: 1.9.x

=begin
 I'd like a way to increase the size of the Fiber stack dynamically so when my program starts, I can set it to whatever value I need for the code I'm running.  4KB is too easy to run into problems when running recursive code but settling on any arbitrary static value seems pointless to me.
=end

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org