On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:33 AM, Haase, Konstantin <
Konstantin.Haase / student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Also, these are really named arguments in a Python sense, not keyword
> arguments in a Smalltalk sense.

I just wanted to point out that MacRuby (in order to support compatibility
with Obj-C which uses Smalltalk style keyword arguments) already uses the
hash syntax for defining/calling methods, but the semantics are different
from what is being proposed here, if I understand correctly. To summarize:

    # Ruby 2.0 proposal:
    def foo(a: 1, b: 2, c: 3)
        puts [a, b, c]
    end
    foo(a: 'one', b: 'two', c: 'three') #=> ["one", "two", "three"]

    # Currently in MacRuby:
    def foo(a: first, b: second, c: third)
        puts [first, second, third]
    end
    foo(a: 'one', b: 'two', c: 'three') #=> ["one", "two", "three"]

With the current proposal for keyword arguments, I think MacRuby would not
be able to implement this feature.