(2011/10/09 1:54), Perry Smith wrote:
> Would it be plausible to somehow, get the (ruby) stack of the running ruby process (or a particular thread), periodically?  For example, every 10 seconds.
>
> One approach might be to have a separate thread with a timer that popped and it would get the current stack for a particular thread (not itself).
>
> The overall objective is to have a very light weight (low impact) technique for profiling a Rails app as it is running in production.  Over the course of a week, for example, gather enough statistics to understand where the app is spending the most time.
>
> Of course, the other question is: has this already been done?  (I couldn't find anything.)

Generally, it should say "Sampling profiling".

We can do it for several information.  You say "get the current stack
for a particular thread".  What do you want to do with stack?  Sampling
"performance" profiling?

I want to know "What you want" instead of "How you want".
After that, we can consider "how we do it".

Regards,
Koichi

--
// SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net