The Rubinius Agent can do that, even without slowing down the Ruby process.

Konstantin

On Oct 8, 2011, at 09:54 , Perry Smith wrote:

> Would it be plausible to somehow, get the (ruby) stack of the running rub=
y process (or a particular thread), periodically?  For example, every 10 se=
conds.
>=20
> One approach might be to have a separate thread with a timer that popped =
and it would get the current stack for a particular thread (not itself).
>=20
> The overall objective is to have a very light weight (low impact) techniq=
ue for profiling a Rails app as it is running in production.  Over the cour=
se of a week, for example, gather enough statistics to understand where the=
 app is spending the most time.