Hi,

(11/10/05 10:05), "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> On 2011/10/05 0:14, Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
>
>> (11/10/04 0:19), Yusuke Endoh wrote:
>
>>> Actually, I prefer %L, but didn't succeed to implement it.
>>> It is difficult to determine the end of %L.
>>> My patch requires an empty line at the end.
>>> Though, nobu may be able to overcome the difficulty?
>>
>> First, please continue in new separate thread.
>>
>> Second, you all guys should excavate and read the old (and long)
>> discussions from the grave.
>
> Do you have any pointers?

Sure.  The oldest threads which I could find are just:

* <http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/ruby/ruby-dev/19261?19198-19543>
  "lstripped here-document"

  seems moving to Japanese ML from the following thread, probably

* <http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/50473?50328-51748>
  "Re: comments and continuing strings on the next line"

And, IIRC, a few times thie topic revives ever, with no results.

Summarizing the former thread briefly,

* [ruby-dev:19261] nobu

  proposed the new syntx,

    p <<-|EOS
      |  foo
      |    bar
    EOS
    # => "  foo\n    bar\n"

* [ruby-dev:19263] matz

  be carefully to introduce a new syntax.

* [ruby-dev:19360] kosako

  doesn't feel very nice to have to pepend the punctuation to each
  lines, when Copy&Paste.

  instead, another syntax simillar to the last one in
  [ruby-core:39851].

    p <<-2EOS
        foo
          bar
    EOS

* [ruby-dev:19361] nahi

  yet another way, to outdent according to the indent of the first
  line in the here-doc, or the line of EOS.

* [ruby-dev:19366,19368] nahi and nobu

  how you can write two here-docs in a line, with the above?
    foo(<<EOS1, <<EOS2)
             foo1
             EOS1
      foo2
      EOS2

* [ruby-dev:19385] nahi

  regarding Dave's proposal, (maybe presented at RubyConf 2002?)

    str ==<<|Hello
            |World

  doesn't seem to allow multiple here-docs in a line.

--
Nobu Nakada