--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

Urabe Shyouhei escreveu isso a
> > - Move stdlib to gems
>
> This is going to happen.

Is there more detailed plans for this? Which components of the stdlib
will be moved out? Rubygems? Rake? RDoc? Minitest?

This is something very important for packagers: for instance, in Debian
we could have a single Rubygems package that can works with any Ruby
interpreter, but currently we have a rubygems package for 1.8, 1.9
comes with its own copy of rubygems embedded in the stdlib, and jruby
does the same. Therefore we have to maintain 3 copies of Rubygems, and
when Rubinius is packaged, there will be 4.

Another point that I would like to suggest: adding a mechanism for
site-specific and and vendor-specific initialization, so that system
administrators and OS vendors can install code that runs when Ruby is
initialized.  Something along the lines of:

  [sitedir, vendordir].each do |path|
    if File.directory("#{path}/boot")
      Dir.glob("#{path}/boot/*").sort.each { |f| require f } # [*]
  # [*] the sort is to make sure the files are loaded in a predictable
  #     order.

For consistency, maybe that loop could be against the entire $LOAD_PATH
instead of just sitedir and vendordir.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro / softwarelivre.org>
http://softwarelivre.org/terceiro

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--