Issue #5384 has been updated by Naohisa Goto.

> I have tried this and I am met with the same error still.

I cannot reproduce the error on my machines running Solaris 10, with GNU libiconv or with the native iconv on Solaris 10.  So, I think this would be specific to your machine.

If you are using native iconv on Solaris, SUNWuiu8 package is required, and SUNWciu8, SUNWhiu8, SUNWjiu8, and SUNWkiu8 packages are recommended.
(Reference: http://developer.gnome.org/glib/2.30/glib-building.html )

Since the iconv issue is different from the main topic, please report the issue as a new Bug, with following information and files.

* compiler name and version
* which iconv is installed and used
* configure options
* ./config.log
* ./ext/iconv/mkmf.log

Bug #5384: Ruby 1.9.3-RC1 Fails to Compile on Illumos (OpenSolaris)
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5384