Issue #5384 has been updated by Naohisa Goto.

> In all fairness, Ruby 1.9.3-RC1 doesn't compile out of the box on Sun Solaris 10, either, but for a different reason (one which should be handled by configure, but is not):

> compiling iconv.c
> linking shared-object iconv.so
> ld: fatal: library -liconv: not found

On the machine, I suppose GNU libiconv is installed and iconv.h coming from GNU libiconv is recognized by the compiler but the library directory of GNU libiconv is not included in the default library search path.
Giving LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib" to configure may solve the error.
Bug #5384: Ruby 1.9.3-RC1 Fails to Compile on Illumos (OpenSolaris)
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5384