=begin

Hi folks, I'd like to make an official announcement about this topic on www.ruby-lang.org.
Can you take a look at this draft?  I'm sure my English is bad.

    Hello, and thank you for your getting into our community.

    I know most of  you more or less use version 1.8.7  of Ruby today.  It
    was released  in 2008 and was  a state-of-art Ruby  release back then.
    -- I am  proud to say  it is no  longer.  Ruby's core  developers have
    been actively working  on their new versions, 1.9,  and they are about
    to  release new 1.9.3.   I have  been using  1.9 for  years and  now I
    cannot  go  back to  the  days  without  it.  Rich  features.   Faster
    execution.  Rubygems integrated.  Rails works perfectly.  I cannot but
    say it is totally wonderful.  Everyone please, use 1.9.

    But at  the same time I  know you cannot  switch to 1.9 right  now for
    various  reasons.    Maybe  you   have  already  been   deployed  your
    application with 1.8.7.  Maybe you use a 3rd party library and that is
    for 1.8.7 only.  Or maybe your Linux distribution only supports 1.8.7.
    So I hereby announce  you how long you can stick to  it.  It is OK you
    are using 1.8.7 today but after a while, it will be shut down.

    Please be ready.

    Schedule:

    * We continue to provide normal  maintenance for 1.8.7 as usual, until
      June  2012.   You can  safely  assume  we  provide bugfixes  and  no
      incompatibility shall be introduced.

    * After that we stop bugfixes.   We still provide security fixes until
      June 2013, in case you are still using 1.8.7.

    * We will no longer support 1.8.7 in all senses after June 2013.

=end

Feature #4996: About 1.8.7 EOL
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4996