http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5352

Author: Joey Zhou
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

"<<" is a frequently used method in text manipulation. Meanwhile, it's also the beginning token of a here-document.
 Sometimes it may be confusing to newbies.

Unlike Perl, in which "<>" is a very very frequently used operator to read lines from a filehandle, in Ruby, "<>" has no meaning. So I think it can be used to represent Here Document, so as to reduce the possibility of misunderstanding method "<<" and here-document token "<<". And In my opinion, <> is more clear than <<, because it looks like kind of brackets.

For example,

  str = <SECT1>.upcase + <SECT2>.downcase
  aaaaaa
  SECT1