Issue #5193 has been updated by Charlie Savage.

> So we had requested the API proposal and its use cases
> long before, but no response till the last month and
>just "it can't build".

First, is there anything else we need to do for ruby 1.9.3?  The current status is that both ruby-debug-base19 and ruby-debug-base19x (JetBrain's fork) both compile now.  ruby-debug-base19x works for me, but ruby-debug-base19 does not due to segmentation faults when evaluating expressions.  I assume that is due to an issue in ruby-debug-base19 and not ruby.  So my original goal for this ticket has been met, thank you.

Second:

> We had requested the API proposal and its use cases
> long before, but no response till the last month
> and just "it can't build".

Who is in charge of this?  Is ruby-core supposed to propose an API? If so, who?  Or is it the ruby-debug developers (Mark and JetBrains)?

Remember I'm just a user of ruby-debug who was alarmed when it stopped working last month.  Having said that, it is important enough to me that I am happy to help with whatever is needed.

But instead of discussing that here, should a new ticket be opened for a creating an official debugger api for 1.9.4?

Bug #5193: ruby_thread_data_type linker errors fixed with RUBY_EXTERN
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5193