Hi,

At Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:32:04 +0900,
Charlie Savage wrote in [ruby-core:39570]:
> > No, it keeps thread objects. But I'm not sure if allowing
> > GC is necessary. Seems a thread object will be removed
> > from the table by check_thread_contexts() if the thread has
> > terminated. Isn't it enough?
>
> Since I don't know the code, I don't the answer. Mark would
> be best to answer that.

You don't need to use object_id in C, just don't mark it
instead.  I updated my clone.

> > I'm uncertain of "the need". You mean that you won't
> > need the header to compile ruby-debug?
>
> Yes.  To compile ruby-debug you must have the Ruby source
> code installed because it refers to the headers iseq.h and
> vm_core.h neither of which are installed by Ruby.

It wouldn't be possible since ruby-debug depens on the ruby
internal structures.

> It would be much better for ruby-debug to not have to use
> those headers and instead could just use Ruby's public api.
> Don't know if that is currently possible.  If not, seems like
> a nice addition for 1.9.4 (I know you have mentioned work on
> an official debug api).

It's much more preferable way, of course.  So we had requested
the API proposal and its use cases long before, but no response
till the last month and just "it can't build".

--
Nobu Nakada