Issue #5193 has been updated by Charlie Savage.

> No, it keeps thread objects. But I'm not sure if allowing
> GC is necessary. Seems a thread object will be removed
> from the table by check_thread_contexts() if the thread has
> terminated. Isn't it enough?

Since I don't know the code, I don't the answer. Mark would be best to answer that.

> I'm uncertain of "the need". You mean that you won't
> need the header to compile ruby-debug?

Yes.  To compile ruby-debug you must have the Ruby source code installed because it refers to the headers iseq.h and vm_core.h neither of which are installed by Ruby.

It would be much better for ruby-debug to not have to use those headers and instead could just use Ruby's public api.  Don't know if that is currently possible.  If not, seems like a nice addition for 1.9.4 (I know you have mentioned work on an official debug api).
Bug #5193: ruby_thread_data_type linker errors fixed with RUBY_EXTERN
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5193