http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5193

Author: Charlie Savage
Assignee: Nobuyoshi Nakada
Category: core
Target version: 1.9.3
ruby -v: -

ruby-debug-base19x fails to compile with VC++ 2010 with this error:

ruby_debug.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _ruby_thread_data_type

ruby_thread_data_type is declared in vm_core.h as:

extern const rb_data_type_t ruby_thread_data_type;

ruby-debug calls GetThreadPtr which is defined as:

#define GetThreadPtr(obj, ptr) \
    TypedData_Get_Struct((obj), rb_thread_t, &ruby_thread_data_type, (ptr))

What makes this interesting is that ruby_thread_data_type is properly included in the msvcr100-ruby191.def file and is exported from msvcr100-ruby191.dll.  Somehow the &ruby_thread_data_type causes problems for VC++ (mingw works correctly).

Some Ubuntu users seem to be having a similar issue.  See:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=29222&group_id=8883&atid=34290

The problem is resolved for VC++ by changing the definition to:

RUBY_EXTERN const rb_data_type_t ruby_thread_data_type;

Any chance this change could be made?

Thanks - Charlie

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org