(2011/09/08 15:28), Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> THE NEED:

Thank you for summary of needs.  Following is problems I feel (and
discussed on IRC).

Problems:

(1) Most of MRI developers (is it true?) can't change RubySpec.  Also
most of MRI developers don't know RubySpec rules.

(2) We can add code modification and test cases in one commit.  If we
can't do it, we need commit commit modifications and RubySpec isolation.

(3) It is difficult to judge test is an independent or not.
Additionally, we don't need to insert "guard" about version or
implementation on our "test/*".  It seems tough work to insert correct
"guard".

(4) Current RubySpec is not portable (especially Windows)
[ruby-core:39379].

(5) As you know, trunk is not unstable.  For example, some modifications
are revertd soon.  Should we add such features as "Specifications"?  (I
know that there is an opinion that the experimental code should have a
spec).

(6) test/* contains many many corner cases depend on MRI implementation
to increase code coverage (Thanks Endo-san).  It is independent as Ruby
language, but dependent on MRI.  Where should we write such tests?

I think this problem is "who pay efforts on it?".

One solution is continuing current style (using test/*) and someone
migrate tests to RubySpec if needed.  But we need "someone".

Other solution is MRI committer join to maintain RubySpec.  MRI
developer (including me) should change development style and several
overhead to do (I think inserting correct "guard" is difficult).

Brian Ford told me that we can have our own RubySpec repository in MRI
repository and migrating updating specs from MRI's RubySpec repository
to the RubySpec repository is easy.  It is also one solution.  However,
we need "someone" who can migrate.  It solves (1), (2) and maybe (3).

Regards,
Koichi

--
// SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net