Hi,

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Urabe Shyouhei <shyouhei / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> (09/05/2011 03:54 AM), Marc-Andre Lafortune wrote:
>> So the questions to be answered are:
>> - am I missing advantages to CRuby's `test/*`?
>> - what are the reservations against adding tests to RubySpec?
>> - is there anything that should be done to make it easier for CRuby's
>> committers to add tests to RubySpec?
>
> Hey, RubySpec and test/ are not hostile each other.  No "vs" please.

Hey, there actually is a "vs" since a test can be committed to either
RubySpec or test/ but I doubt any committer will ever take the time to
do both (as we all have better things to do). Developers must make a
choice as to where to add new tests.

> They have different goals.

They have distinct but similar goals and the majority of tests can be in either.

> Please stop preventing us from adding tests into test/.

Please stop accusing me of something I am not doing.

Please realize that the reverse is true. I have been told repeatedly
to add tests to "test/". I prefer adding them to RubySpec and want to
continue to do so. I am against the notion that "You must add a test
to test-all when you change CRuby's behavior" [ruby-core:39169].

I would like that we all agree on the following: to change CRuby, one
must add a test, either in RubySpec or in test/. If it is
implementation specific, it belongs in test/, otherwise it is
acceptable in either RubySpec or test/. I also believe it would be
preferable if it was added to RubySpec, but I will not fight over that
notion.

I apologize in advance if this post sounds confrontational; I simply
tried to mirror your post. I normally avoid telling people what to do
(especially with the imperative) or using expressions that can sound
like I'm annoyed (Hey, ...). I understand english is not everyone's
native language (it is not mine either) but I would still recommend to
everybody of being careful about the way a message can be interpreted.

Thanks,

Marc-Andr