Hi,

At Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:59:34 +0900,
Tom Wardrop wrote in [ruby-core:38957]:
> So basically what I proposed in my previous message, is to
> some extent, get rid of Symbols. You'd still have the :symbol
> syntax, and symbols would still be handled differently by the
> garbage collector (as they currently are), but they would
> otherwise be a literal named string, like a shorthand for
> mystring = 'mystring'.

First of all, you shouldn't mix different proposals.  It's one of the
fastest way to confuse the discussion and make all unacceptable.

Second, that proposal, "Symbol as a subclass of String", is an
abolished feature.  Though I can't remember the reason now,
there should be the rationale to thrown it away.  You need to
disprove it to make your proposal accepted.

--
Nobu Nakada