Issue #4801 has been updated by Chris White.

The problem is that symbols are used for more than just keys in hashes. They're also a key player in meta programming,  used for cases like referring to methods and instance / class variables. I'm a bit worried that isolating symbols to the Hash use case will create overhead in their usage as method / variable references (to see the potential impact, check Symbol.all_symbols on a simple program with just a puts call).
Feature #4801: Shorthand Hash Syntax for Strings
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4801

Author: Tom Wardrop
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

Assuming there's no technical limitation or ambiguities, I suggest that the shorthand syntax for symbol's in the context of an array, be applied to strings also.

E.g. {'key': 'value'}

I don't believe there are any syntax ambiguous that this would give rise to. The only consideration that may need to be made, is if there are plans to support shorthand syntax for quoted symbols, e.g. {'key': 'value'}. If quoted symbols are off the table, then there's no harm in implementing a shorthand hash syntax for strings. This may stem the growing problem of what I like to call 'symbolitis' , where symbol's are selected as the key type purely for their aesthetics and ease of use, even when strings are a more appropriate choice.

Thoughts?

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org