2011/8/10 Vt Ondruch <v.ondruch / gmail.com>

> And what is the reason in real life to have two versions of Ruby on your
> computer, since the first think which will conflict is the Ruby executable,
> the second are manual pages, etc ...

To work on different applications, both old (and thus using 1.8.7) and new
(typically started on 1.9.2 these days). To make sure your libraries work on
multiple Ruby versions. To provide multiple Ruby versions in case of
hoster/cloud providers. To let people run CI against multiple Ruby versions
like travis-ci.org.

Conflicts with Ruby executable are solved by version prefixes or tools like
RVM. RVM solves plenty of other issues like isolated gem sets.

Every person I know who has released at least one gem has more than one Ruby
installed and often uses RVM for that.
--
MK

http://github.com/michaelklishin