On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:30, Eric Hodel <drbrain / segment7.net> wrote:

> Set the GEM_HOME and GEM_PATH environment variables.

So that means I need to populate both env variables myself?

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 00:48, Shugo Maeda <shugo / ruby-lang.org> wrote:

> In Ruby 1.9.3 the gcc option -fvisibility=3Dhidden is used, so not only
> Init_prelude() but other many symbols are hidden in 1.9.3.
> This change was done at r28709, but I haven't seen discussion about it.
>
> I asked the same question about Init_prelude() to nobu yesterday. =A0He
> said that ruby_options(2, {"ruby", "-e;"}) can be used instead of
> Init_prelude() as a workaround.

So basically another workaround for a workaround, calling Init_prelude
was a mere
hack for me to populate the gam paths.

I still wonder, why there is no sane way to do that. Even if ruby
wasn't designed
for embedding, why making it even more difficult?

--=20
Wbr
Christoph