Issue #5097 has been updated by Jeremy Evans.

Jeremy Evans wrote:
> Motohiro KOSAKI wrote:
> > I wonder why OpenBSD can't allocate SIGSTKSZ size. Usually it's very small. Can you please tell us openbsd has which value of SIGSTKSZ and MINSIGSTKSZ?
> > Also, can you please try following stack size reducing patch?
>
> OpenBSD amd64
> MINSIGSTKSZ = 8192
> SIGSTKSZ = 40960 (8192 + 32768)
>
> So your patch wouldn't work, as 4*1024 < 8192.  I tried with MINSIGSTKSZ*2 and it still crashed, but it passed with just MINSIGSTKSZ.

Spoke to soon.  It passed with just MINSIGSTKSZ if run in isolation, but not with the other tests:

  make btest OPTS="--sets=thread" => works
  make btest => works
  make check OPTS="--sets=thread" => crashes
  make check => crashes

This isn't that surprising as malloc can fail anytime there isn't enough memory (even if you are only requesting 1 byte).  I think the only way to fix this is to either ignore the malloc error (risky) or safely raise a NoMethodError (safer, but I'm not sure how to do it).
Feature #5097: Supported platforms of Ruby 1.9.3
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5097