Issue #4996 has been updated by Brian Candler.

Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> The world's gonna move to 1.9.  You've lost your war (for at least three years now),
> that's a sad thing.  But we can't go back.  If you don't like it,  I think it's your
> turn to hustle.  Just fork it.  You have the right to do so.

Indeed. The question then becomes, which is more productive? Maintain 1.8 plus all the libraries we depend on, or just move to another language like Python?

Python has quite a few ugly points (for example look how it handles 'super'), but it has semantics for strings and M17N which are both well-defined and easily understood. That clarity has made the Python 2->3 transition much smoother; indeed, they have even provided a tool which converts most Python 2 programs to Python 3.

I remember fondly the smooth transition from ruby 1.6.8 to 1.8.0 (the 'shim' library providing 1.8 features while people still had to deploy 1.6.8)

> PS: For Encodings' being complicated, just curse the Babylonians.

I still assert that Ruby makes programming too hard. A statement like "a = b + c" should be easy to understand; it should be clear under what circumstances it raises an exception, and it should be clear what properties 'a' will have going forward which might the behaviour at the next point of use.

Anyway, you're right, there's nothing I can do about this. Ruby <= 1.8 is (or was) a fine language, and I shall miss it.
Feature #4996: About 1.8.7 EOL
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4996