Issue #5034 has been updated by Lazaridis Ilias.

Yui NARUSE wrote:
> > To make this issue productive again:
> >
> > * please state the rationale for the use of tab-8/space-4 for a indent-4 project.
>
> Historical reason.

ok, but *why*? Who decided and especially *why* (the rationale) to use tab-8/space-4 ?

I still believe it was a "hairy" developer, on drugs when he implemented/introduced it, and to lazy to correct it later.

> Additional to say Ruby has some codes ported from other projects like *BSD, Oniguruma and so on.
> Such codes keep its style to ease merging a new code.

I understand.

> > * please suggest a solution for simple tools, thus there's no need to use tab-8/space-4 manually.
>
> Use emacs or vim or some good editor.

I cannot write this as a suggestion, that's an user choice. I've added this to the document:

"
Simple Editor

Set the editor to tab-8, and indent manually as follows (-------> = tab-8, .... = space-4):

------->
------->....
------->------->
------->------->....

If you like to understand why you have to take this effort, see issue #5034.

In short: you *must* adopt the coding-style. If you don't have an editor which supports this kind of automated indenting, then you have to do it manually.
"

> > At least, please let me know the rationale, thus I can write some documentation for people, thus they can accept it easier.
>
> When you make a patch, the patch should be minimal.
> It means not include cosmetic change; follow the style where you want to change.

This is of course correct. See above to see what I meant with "rationale".

> > I've updated the project-documentation subjecting setup of Kommodo-IDE. Seems to be a "better editor", as it masters tab-space-insanity:
> >
> > ((<URL:http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/DeveloperHowto#For-Komodo-IDE-52>))
>
> Good document; if Kommodo-IDE supports per project setting it should be better editor.

I agree with you. I'm wondering that it does not allow per-project-indent settings (maybe I've just not found the way, but it seems to be not possible, at least in V5.2). Will see.

> Anyway you seems you don't know GNU Coding Standards; projects under GNU uses the standard and
> won't merge patches which aren't follow it.
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html

OMG that's really a very bad quality of presentation / documentation. That's why I really never can stay longer than 1 minute on a GNU site.

And what I understand is, that it's not only Microsoft that "forces" you into it's standards.

GNU does it, too.

But it's GNU that talks about freedom. So, Stallman & Co. are Hypocrites, and thus what they say has not so much relevance for me.

-

Independent of this, of course I obey to a project coding standard when sending a patch. That's a matter of courtesy.

Bug #5034: C Source Code formatting
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5034