Issue #5054 has been updated by Kurtis Rainbolt-Greene.

> The best strategy that I have come up with is to arbitrarily insert/remove additional ends somewhere, and see what happens, and zoom in on the problem location with something close to binary search.

This is something I've definitely encountered, along with all of my students. I'm not so sure it's a Ruby specific thing though. Perhaps a solution in a different language has already been designed.

> end!, end*, endall. Counting is not very serious.

I would definitely use endall or end!, or even both. An example:

    method do
      method2 do
        method3 do
          puts "red!"
    endall
Feature #5054: Compress a sequence of ends
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5054