Issue #5034 has been updated by Lazaridis Ilias.

Shyouhei Urabe wrote:
> Ilias you're challenging not only the ruby community but also the BSD kernel hackers,
> where they also use 4-space and tabs mixed (google "BSD KNF").  So if you've never
> seen this, you are just... innocent.

Motorola, Thomson, ARM, Intel, NSC and a few more electronic multinationals:

I have *never* seen in any C source-code of them tab-8/space-4 combinations to achieve indent-4.

Most possible, they all just use "bad" editors?

Or because they are not into the "We-FORCE-you-to-do-it-unix-like-despite-your-preferences-and-rationales".

> Indentation is a holly war.  You have your religion.  We have ours.  I know you are
> frustrated but, sorry we don't want to change it.

I don't care about any religion - just about rationales. You don't want to listen to rationales, and "reject" this issue in the middle of the discussion. But it's ok.

> > * The C source quality is low, it's a fact
>
> Show us scientific (or at least statistical) evidence for the "fact" you are talking
> about.

* you don't know that your sources cannot be displayed/edited correctly/sanely in other environments? (due to the mix of tab-8/space-4? )
* (off-context, but relevant to "quality")
  * you don't know that your sources are nearly undocumented?
  * you don't know that your sources lack structure and consistency of naming?

Do I really have to invest time to "proof" this?

> > * people have problems with the tab-8/space-4, (see the sources)
> >  * ignoring this is blindness - it's a fact
>
> A religion cannot last without a blind love.

tab-8/space-4 intermix cannot last without an automation.

> > * using automations to produce an inconsistency is insane, it's a fact.
>
> Just use a better editor.

You may tell this to the electronic giants, too.

-

"
To make this issue productive again:

* please state the rationale for the use of tab-8/space-4 for a indent-4 project.
* please suggest a solution for simple tools, thus there's no need to use tab-8/space-4 manually.
"

At least, please let me know the rationale, thus I can write some documentation for people, thus they can accept it easier.

I've updated the project-documentation subjecting setup of Kommodo-IDE. Seems to be a "better editor", as it masters tab-space-insanity:

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/DeveloperHowto#For-Komodo-IDE-52

(and forgive my tone. I'm just frustrated about this issue-processing of yours)
Bug #5034: C Source Code formatting
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5034