Hi --

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, David A. Black wrote:

> Hi --
>
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In message "Re: Fixnum#clone and Float#clone raise different exceptions"
> >     on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:12:30 +0900, "David A. Black" <dblack / wobblini.net> writes:
> >
> > |Just replying to myself, in the hope of triggering response from Matz
> > |and others....  This glitch is actually looming fairly large in
> > |ActiveRecord's clone facility, which stumbles on Floats.
> >
> > Hmm, do you mean the fact that clone fails for Numbers etc?
>
> No, I mean it fails in different ways.  Fixnum#clone gives a
> TypeError; Float#clone gives a NoMethodError.

Following up, based on some examination of source and some chatting w/
Mauricio and others:

Floats are not immediate values, so they think they can be cloned.
However, there's no Float allocator, so when they try to clone, they
hit a NoMethodError.

I think it would be good to have them respond with a TypeError, like
Fixnums, even though it would be for slightly different reasons.

Does that sound good?

David

--
David A. Black