Ilias you're challenging not only the ruby community but also the BSD kernel hackers,
where they also use 4-space and tabs mixed (google "BSD KNF").  So if you've never
seen this, you are just... innocent.

Indentation is a holly war.  You have your religion.  We have ours.  I know you are
frustrated but, sorry we don't want to change it.

> * The C source quality is low, it's a fact

Show us scientific (or at least statistical) evidence for the "fact" you are talking
about.

> * people have problems with the tab-8/space-4, (see the sources)
>  * ignoring this is blindness - it's a fact

A religion cannot last without a blind love.

> * using automations to produce an inconsistency is insane, it's a fact.

Just use a better editor.
Bug #5034: C Source Code formatting
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5034

Author: Lazaridis Ilias
Assignee:
Category: Project
Target version:
ruby -v: -

=begin
The C sources use tab-4, tab-8 and spaces intermixed.

The tab-8 do not display correctly in several tools (displayed as tab-4).

The suggestion is that the use of tab8 is disallowed (two tab-4 instead of one tab-8).

((<URL:http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/DeveloperHowto>))

=end

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org