On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu / ruby-lang.org> wrote:

> I see.        > that sense, it's natural to fail, but maybe unexpected
> behavior.   ɧ
> (and .cmd too) suffix if it is not found.
> about this?

Thank you Nakada-san, I see a few drawbacks with this approach:

* For a missing script (e.g. foo), system will attempt to find two
extra "foo.bat" and "foo.cmd" in all portions of PATH, which will be
expensive.

* It will introduce a platform-specific discrepancy that other
implementations will either need to implement or indicate that are not
compatible.

I would like to understand why original script is merged with the
batchfile stub in tools/rbinstall.rb

Perhaps we can remove that?

The only reason I see with this is PowerShell, which finds the
extensionless script prior the .bat one and attempts to execute it
(dunno why, but that is what it tries).

For users with PowerShell I've always recommend them use "ruby -S
script" instead.

Thank you for your time.
--
Luis Lavena