http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/1555

Author: Howard Kapustein
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: Ruby 1.8.6
ruby -v: ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]

=begin
 Console::TestRunner supports an io parameter to send output to an IO object, but Autorunner has no way to control it!

 test/unit/ui/console/testrunner.rb contains the Test::Unit::UI::Console::TestRunnner class with a 3-parm initalizer
 But Test::Unit::AutoRunner has no option to specify an alternative destination for io,
 and even if it did, run is only called with 2 parameters!

 I need to redirect test output to a file, and the console testrunner supports this, but the autorunner machinery doesn't use it. The fix is simple, but requires 2 files to change.

 Console::TestRunner defines a 3rd, optional 'io' parameter, obviously meant to support redirecting output to an arbitrary io object.
 The autorunner machinery is fine for me (I don't need a whole custom autorunner), but needs an option to direct output elsewhere (e.g. a file). I added a new attribute, output_io, set via the new --output option, and the critical change
       def run
         result.run(@suite, @output_level).passed?
         result.run(@suite, @output_level, @output_io).passed?

 But run calls the TestRunner thru Test::Unit::UI::run() - we need to alter test\unit\ui\testrunnerutilities.rb to accept this 3rd parm and pass it along, i.e. change
         def run(suite, output_level=NORMAL)
           return new(suite, output_level).start
         def run(suite, output_level=NORMAL, io=STDOUT)
           return new(suite, output_level, io).start
         end

 I've attached modified files, diff against 1.8.6 to see the exact changes.

 I don't see how Console TestRunner's io parameter is accessible - w/o writing a custom AutoRunner, just to control this one option. A heavyweight solution with ugly maintenance and sync implications. But if I've missed something, by all means, please point it out.
=end

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org