http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5010

Author: Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
Assignee: Yukihiro Matsumoto
Category:
Target version: 2.0

I always found the OptionParser API not as well designed as it could be.

I've just found this gem:

http://lee.jarvis.co/slop/

Much better API and I think we should integrate it to Ruby 2.0.

Take a look at the minimal example shown in OptionParser :

<pre>
  require 'optparse'

  options = {}
  OptionParser.new do |opts|
    opts.banner = "Usage: example.rb [options]"

    opts.on("-v", "--[no-]verbose", "Run verbosely") do |v|
      options[:verbose] = v
    end
  end.parse!

  p options
  p ARGV
</pre>

This is the equivalent in Slop:

<pre>
require 'slop'

opts = Slop.parse do
  banner "Usage: example.rb [options]"
  on :v, :verbose, "Run verbosely", :default => true
end

p opts.to_hash
</pre>

--