Issue #5008 has been reported by Suraj Kurapati.

Feature #5008: Equal rights for Hash (like Array, String, Integer, Float)
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/5008

Author: Suraj Kurapati
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
Hello,

I am using ruby 1.9.2p180 (2011-02-18 revision 30909) [x86_64-linux].

Although Ruby has a rich set of primitive data types and structures,
the Hash seems neglected in the Ruby API in comparison to its peers:

* String: Object#to_s by API
* Integer: Kernel#Integer by API and Object#to_i by convention
* Float: Kernel#Float by API and Object#to_f by convention
* Array: Kernel#Array by API and Object#to_a by convention

In particular, the Hash seems neglected by the Ruby API because:

* Its convention method (#to_hash) is longer than one character (#to_h).
* It did not have a Kernel-level method until recently (see issue #3131).
* It has no methods for conversion from NilClass, unlike #to_s, a, i, f.

Please rectify this un-orthogonality and grant Hash equal rights by:

* Establish #to_h as the convention method for converting objects into Hash.
* Add Kernel#Hash method for converting objects into Hash strictly (see issue #3131).
* Define NilClass#to_h so that we can convert nil into an empty Hash.

Thanks for your consideration.
=end

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org