Issue #4553 has been updated by Michael Edgar.

Any update on this? It seems like a reasonable hole to fill in Ruby 1.9.3.
Feature #4553: Add Set#pick and Set#pop
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4553

Author: Michael Edgar
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
A very common operation on sets is to take an arbitrary element from them at O(1) cost. I know typically
it's suggested that library additions go out as a gem to see community review. However, to me it seems
to be a glaring omission to lack such an operation on a built-in, fundamental data structure, so I've
gone straight to the bug tracker.

I wasn't too sure which method names to use as I've often heard "take" in lieu of "pop," so I just used the
names Wikipedia uses. Consider them flexible. "Pick" selects an arbitrary element, and "pop" selects and
deletes it.

I've provided a very simple patch that implements the necessary behavior. Thoughts?
=end

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org