> Hello all.
> I've been interested in awhile in making a centralized way for users
> to have access to more ruby documentation.
>
> Currently we have quite a bit of "rdoc" in the core, which is great,
> but doesn't include a lot of "fuller" longer-length tutorials.
> I would posit that having more documentation available (the existing
> plus these longer tutorials) would help the ruby community out, and be
> desirable.
> So the question is how to implement this.
> 1) We could copy long tutorials into the core source code [a la rdoc].
>  This would clutter code a bit, and also isn't quite as easy to
> contribute to.
> 2) We could "bless" some outside location that contains [preferably
> user-editable] documentation tutorials.  For this I would like to
> propose that we "bless" the following:
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming  By "blessing" I mean
> allowing links to tutorials located there from within the source code
> rdoc.
>
> Ex: under the "Enumerator class" add a link like "to see tutorials for
> this class, please go to
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ruby_Programming/Reference/Objects/Enumerable"
>
> The benefits here is that it is an easy to use/edit tutorial, and it
> keeps the core rdocs from getting cluttered, so I think it would be
> helpful.  Using wikibooks is nice because the maintenance is low and
> the server won't be going away anytime soon.
>
> Would anybody be opposed to links as demonstrated like this?

Rather than adding links to source code, I would prefer the wikibooks link and others under a new Tutorials section of http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/ as well as adding http://ruby.runpaint.org/ to the existing Getting Started section.

Jon

---
blog: http://jonforums.github.com/
twitter: @jonforums

"Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination." - Mark Twain