On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Lazaridis Ilias <ilias / lazaridis.com> wrote:
> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>> Expanding non-prefixed variables/expressions are too easy to conflict. For example, you will have problem to print a string like "Foo#bar". It would print "Foonil" or whatever depends on the value of the localvariable bar. For me, that is annoying too much.

Completely agree.

> I understand this, but:
> * a typical user does not use "Class#method" often.
> * Even if, he could simply uses "Class\#method".

This is a lousy work-around for a problem created by a solution to a
non-problem.

> Subjecting the issue-processing:
>
> why are you so eager to "reject" immediately? I understand that "Rejected" means that the issue topic is closed, and it will not dealt with.

As you're a stickler for staying on-topic, what are your comments on
issue processing doing here?

> But the issue topic is "Unify Variable Expansion within Strings", is a good goal, for the users benefit. And it can happen in other ways, too.
>
> Examples are:
>
> * puts "#$g #@@c #@i ##l ##f" (typing "#" twice is still very fast)
> * puts "~$g ~@@c ~@i ~l ~f"  (unify variable expansion based on another char, usual way via # and #{} remains)

#{l} is cleaner and more readable for me than ##l. And you still
introduce potential conflicts with existing code which has strings
involving "~" and "##".

> There are other possible ways, but with a "rejected" you discourage any discussion.

Please remain professional and on-topic.