Issue #4849 has been reported by Eric Wong.

Feature #4849: io/wait should have a way to avoid FIONREAD
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4849

Author: Eric Wong
Assignee:
Category: ext
Target version: 1.9.x

I would like an API method for io/wait which bypasses FIONREAD.  Some IO
objects I work with (e.g. Linux eventfd[1]) to not support FIONREAD.

I can implement any proposed API for io/wait, but I don't know what it should
be.  Perhaps just "IO#wait_readable", since I also have
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4646 open for IO#wait_writable.

Meanwhile, I will use IO.select.  I believe IO#wait_* will be a better
API that is easier-to-use and potentially faster (it can bypass array
scanning and use poll() for high FDs in Linux).

[1] http://bogomips.org/sleepy_penguin/SleepyPenguin/EventFD.html

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org