Clifford Heath wrote:
> That is, the problem is that it's not obvious to a newcomer that __FILE__ means
> the current source-code file, or that $0 means the name of the script
> being executed. Especially the latter...

$PROGRAM_NAME is an alias for $0.
But "if __FILE__ == $PROGRAM_NAME" is quite long.

Feature #4824: Provide method Kernel#executed?
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4824

Author: Lazaridis Ilias
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version:

The current construct to execute main code looks not very elegant:

if __FILE__ == $0
  my_main()          # call any method or execute any code
end

With a Kernel#executed? method, this would become more elegant:

if executed?
  #do this
  #do that
  my_main()
end

or

main() if executed?

This addition would not break any existent behaviour.

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org