--WYTEVAkct0FjGQmd

Jos=C3=A9 Valim:

> I also disagree that ruby hashes should be with indifferent access.

+1, they shouldn=E2=80=99t (IMHO). Hash keys can comprise any objects that =
have
sane #hash and #eql? methods (stdlib=E2=80=99s Set is fundamentally based on
this premise) and I don=E2=80=99t think any special casing should be made f=
or
Strings and Symbols (except for String freezing when they become keys).

> The only places where [Rails] accept[s] both types
> are in params and cookies and we do that as a security
> measure. If we automatically converted such keys to
> symbols, someone could use it to cause a DoS attack.

Also, the above will at some point in time stop being
a security concern (IIRC the DoS is MRI-only, right?).

> Overall, I agree with the proposed syntax and with the behavior
> that it should return a symbol. For consistency, I also think
> interpolation should be allowed when double quotes are used.

+1 =E2=80=93 and thanks a lot for your great EuRuKo talk! :)

=E2=80=94 Piotr Szotkowski
--=20
My McDonald=E2=80=99s order was 28 and the next one was 29 and
I thought, =E2=80=98Aha! Insecure predictable sequence numbers.=E2=80=99
                                          [Mark Pilgrim]

--WYTEVAkct0FjGQmd

--WYTEVAkct0FjGQmd--

Jos Valim:

> I also disagree that ruby hashes should be with indifferent access.

+1, they shouldn°«t (IMHO). Hash keys can comprise any objects that have
sane #hash and #eql? methods (stdlib°«s Set is fundamentally based on
this premise) and I don°«t think any special casing should be made for
Strings and Symbols (except for String freezing when they become keys).

> The only places where [Rails] accept[s] both types
> are in params and cookies and we do that as a security
> measure. If we automatically converted such keys to
> symbols, someone could use it to cause a DoS attack.

Also, the above will at some point in time stop being
a security concern (IIRC the DoS is MRI-only, right?).

> Overall, I agree with the proposed syntax and with the behavior
> that it should return a symbol. For consistency, I also think
> interpolation should be allowed when double quotes are used.

+1  and thanks a lot for your great EuRuKo talk! :)

°Ĺ Piotr Szotkowski
--
My McDonald°«s order was 28 and the next one was 29 and
I thought, °∆Aha! Insecure predictable sequence numbers.°«