Since :"#{abc}" is allowed in Ruby, I imagine that any such substitute syntax would preserve that property.

I disagree strongly that Hash, the base class, should special-case the behaviors
of Strings and Symbols to be equal. It's a hash table, like those encountered in any other language,
and shouldn't behave unlike typical hash tables. Namely h[a] and h[b] look up the same
value iff a == b (or a.eql?(b), or whichever equality test you use). Strings and symbols
are never equal.

Michael Edgar
adgar / carboni.ca
http://carboni.ca/