http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4758

Author: Lazaridis Ilias
Assignee: Aaron Patterson
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: -

On a fresh ruby installation, I've stored some data within a yaml file.

The data does arrive there as "\x9B\xA6\xA1\xA0\xA3\xE3", thus I'm not able to edit something there.

I file this as a "Bug", because yaml is meant to be human-readable.

=== Workaround ===

within some discussions, the following workaround came up:

require "psych" // require before yaml
require "yaml"

But this is not always achievable, e.g. when yaml is used by a library etc.

=== Insider Context ===

Backward compatibility can be achieved easily by:

YAML::ENGINE.yamler = "syck"

=== Newcomer Context ===

Ruby should work "out of the box" correct with utf-8 data, an thus "psych" should become the default.

As said, if you view this issue strictly, it's a defect/bug.

(I've personally lost some hours with this issue)

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org