> If you use Emacs or Vim, I wrote a guide:
> http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/DeveloperHowto#coding-style

Right. So this seems to imply that at least the Ruby shouldn't have any
tabs, so I'll take care of that, at least. Seeing a line that starts with
"space space tab space space" makes me cry...

As for the C, well, personally, I now code my C with two spaces, but I also
recognize that that's unusual. While historically, C has been 8 spaces to a
tab, I think that I've seen more code in the wild with 4.

I personally prefer the 'exapandtab religion' because it ensures that the
source looks good when people look at it, and it looks the exact same for
everyone who's working on the code. We already acknowledge that wrapping to
80 columns is a good idea, and tabs seems like the same thing to me. You
either let everything be define-able by everyone, or you pick something for
everyone.

Then again, I'm new around here, and I haven't really done any work on the C
yet, so I really care more about the Ruby that I'll be working on, at least
at first.

Will you say the same thing when you contribute to GNU?

I would not contribute to GNU code for a host of reasons, but the incredibly
ugly coding conventions is one of the minor ones. Ruby is all about making
programmers happy, not making it easy to write plugins for Emacs that
manipulate code.