Issue #4689 has been updated by Motohiro KOSAKI.

note: this isssue only exist in ruby-1.9. (aka regression)

Feature #4689:  /proc/$PID/environ in Linux
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4689

Author: Eric Wong
Assignee: Motohiro KOSAKI
Category: core
Target version: 1.9.x

 I wanted to inspect the environment of a long-running process[1] and I
 noticed Ruby 1.9.2 moves environ for argv storage when modifying $0.

 Can we do this lazily and only as a last resort when argv doesn't have
 space?  I can look into supplying patches this weekend, at least for
 the Linux use case.

 I remember this worked fine in 1.9.1 even with minor $0 modifications
 in my code.

 [1] I use this command: tr '\0' '\n' < /proc/$PID/environ

 --
 Eric Wong

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org