Issue #4412 has been updated by Martin Bosslet.

Assignee set to Martin Bosslet

Feature #4412: [ext/openssl] Create Digest by OID
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4412

Author: Martin Bosslet
Assignee: Martin Bosslet
Category: ext
Target version: 1.9.3

=begin
 Currently it is not possible to create a Digest instance by using
 the OID instead of the name (sn or ln).

 oid = OpenSSL::ASN1::ObjectId.new('SHA1')
 digest = OpenSSL::ASN1::Digest.new(oid.oid)

 => Unsupported digest algorithm (1.3.14.3.2.26).

 This is counter-intuitive, since the only thing that is always
 available in the case of object identifiers is the numeric oid,
 sn or ln are not always present. Since sn and ln are also quite
 error-prone (spelling), I'd like to suggest to have all three possibilities
 for instantiating a Digest: by sn, by ln and by oid.

 I included a patch and a test to support this behaviour.

 Regards,
 Martin
=end

--