Issue #4666 has been reported by Lucas Nussbaum.

Bug #4666: set ruby compatibility version to 1.9.3 in trunk
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4666

Author: Lucas Nussbaum
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: 1.9.3

Hi,

(I am one of the Debian maintainers for Ruby)

The trunk branch of Ruby still has a ruby compatibility version of 1.9.1, according to include/ruby/version.h.

The confusion between ruby version and ruby compatibility version caused a lot of questions in the ruby community. Even if 1.9.3 is still binary-compatible with 1.9.1, I think that it would be easier to change its ruby compat version to 1.9.3. This would:
- enable users to co-install (1.9.1 or 1.9.2) and 1.9.3. In debian, 1.9.3 could be provided as a separate ruby1.9.3 package.
- advertise the fact that there are API changes in 1.9.3 that could break apps

Thank you,

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org