Issue #3436 has been updated by Mark Somerville.

I'm repeating what I said in another thread to catch people that have subscribed to this bug.

Suraj Kurapati wrote:
> It seems Mark was the only person to review ((<Ko1's patch|URL:http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/33456>)).
>
> What do the other Ruby developers think about it?
>
> Will it not be committed because it lacks Windows support?
>
> Thanks for your consideration.

With the 1.9.2 release schedule now public and rather imminent, now is the time to get this tested and reviewed.

I really think this regression should be fixed for 1.9.3 - if you do too, please help make it happen!
Feature #3436: Spawn the timer thread lazily
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/3436