Issue #4328 has been updated by Eric Wong.

I should note that even Rubinius has this function in it's C API.
Feature #4328: export rb_thread_call_with_gvl()
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4328

Author: Eric Wong
Assignee: Koichi Sasada
Category: core
Target version: 1.9.3

=begin
 I think it is general enough to remain supported along
 with the rest of the MRI C API, especially since
 rb_thread_blocking_region() exists and is supported.

 It's useful for interacting with certain C libraries that expect a
 user-supplied callback function so the extension can allocate a Ruby
 object inside the callback.

 It can also be easily made a no-op for Ruby implementations without a
 GVL.
=end

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org