http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/2190

Author: Suraj Kurapati
Assignee: Motohiro KOSAKI
Category: lib
Target version: 1.9.x

=begin
 Hello,

 I request that FileUtils::chmod() and FileUtils::chmod_R() accept
 symbolic modes, which are strings like "u+x,g-w,o=" (see "symbolic
 mode" in `man chmod` for details), in addition to the numeric modes
 they currently accept.

 If my request is fulfilled, the following would be equivalent:

   FileUtils::chmod(0712, "file.txt")

   FileUtils::chmod("u=rwx,g=x,o=w", "file.txt")

 In addition, symbolic modes would allow delta/patch changes:

   FileUtils::chmod("g+w", "file.txt")

 This is not so easy with numeric modes, because you must
 first read the current mode, apply your delta/patch mode
 using a bitwise OR operation, and finally apply the new
 numeric mode using FileUtils::chmod().

 Thanks for your consideration.
=end

--