http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4632

Author: Jan Lelis
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

Regexp.union is a great feature, but it is rarely used. I can imagine, the following syntax would be quite popular:

For example:
  /Ruby\d/ | /test/i | "cheat" #=> Regexp.union( Regexp.union( /Ruby\d/, /test/i ), "cheat" )

It would also be cool as String method, so one can do:
  "jruby" | "rbx" #=> /jruby|rbx/

Example implementation:
  class Regexp
    def |(arg)
      Regexp.union self, arg.is_a?(Regexp) ? arg : arg.to_s

  class String

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org