Issue #4578 has been reported by Russell Bevers.

Bug #4578: Fixnum.freeze not frozen?
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/4578

Author: Russell Bevers
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.8.7 (2011-02-18 patchlevel 334) [i686-darwin10.7.0]

Using ruby 1.8.7 p334

a = 5; a.freeze

Expect:  true == a.frozen?
Result:  false == a.frozen?

I realize Fixnum is already immutable, however consider the following code:

class Demanding
    attr_reader :important

    def initialize(important)
        @important = important
        @important.freeze

Demanding wants to be able to rely on identifier not changing over its lifespan.  I could make it demanding with some other mechanism such as:
 * Force important to be a particular type
 * Force important to respond_to? particular messages during initialization

These are all slippery and don't address the concern of mutability of important objects.  Freeze seemed like the obvious solution, but it's probably best for me to just take a deep copy of important for Demanding's own use.

In the meantime, I thought I should share that freeze is not working for all objects in Ruby 1.8.7 p334.

--
http://redmine.ruby-lang.org