On Oct 26, 2004, at 9:55 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Use stable snapshots, find bugs, report them (or fix them ;-), and keep
> track of things to do before the release, especially bugs.

Maybe you're just talking about the core itself here, but this seems to
be a good time to ask: What is the expectation generally about
documentation and maintenance regarding the standard libraries?

I ask because I've been trying to report what I believe to be a bug
with the CGI library, and have no idea where this should go. I emailed
it to wakou / ruby-lang.org three weeks ago, and then emailed it to this
list one week ago, and have received absolutely no response. Not a
"I'll look into it", not a "I don't think this is a bug", not a
"Wakou's busy with work these days but maybe he can look into it
later", nothing.

I don't want to complain, 'cause after all this is all free. But on the
other hand, I feel like Rubyists always wonder when Ruby's going to be
taken seriously in the enterprise. And after my experience with this
(and a few other things) I feel compelled to respond "If we package
certain libraries with Ruby itself, and those libraries aren't
well-documented and maintained, then that's not going to help us be
taken seriously."

Am I totally off-base here?

Francis