On 01/30/2011 06:30 PM, mathew wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:49, Jeremy Bopp <jeremy / bopp.net> wrote:
>> Where possible, Ruby scripts should see *Ruby* as the platform, not
>> Linux, not OSX, and not Windows.
>
> If that's true, are Ruby filenames case-sensitive or not? And are they
> case-preserving or not?

The handling of file names is dependent on the underlying filesystem.
That means that file names are case-insensitive and case-preserving by
default on FAT and NTFS (used by Windows) and on HFSX (used by default
for OSX, I think).  Keep in mind though that it's possible to load NTFS
in a case-sensitive mode by tweaking a registry key somewhere, and I've
heard you can do something similar for HFSX.  Therefore, you (and Ruby
for that matter) can't simply assume on any given platform that you'll
have one behavior or another. :-)

-Jeremy